Skip to main content

Palace Half Marathon - King Henry's Race

With the Madrid marathon a short five weeks away, my training is getting pretty intense. So far I've had one 20 mile run and the next two weeks are the toughest in the program. This past week was an "easy" week, which meant lighter mileage at a slower pace. I really enjoy these recovery weeks every four weeks and this past weekend planned in a half marathon with Beth at Hampton Court Palace.

We chose those race for its proximity to our house as well as being a very familiar route. It starts at the main entrance to Hampton Court (home of King Henry VIII) and ends in the Palace gardens. I've run most of this route many times before.

The races started in waves due to the tight towpath along the river. I started in wave 1, Beth was in wave 7. This was her first half in a few years, certainly her first since we moved to London.

I like to have a latte pick-me-up before I start my runs, so as we were a bit early, we headed to the cafe. We also knew this would have the least crowded toilets!

As race time approached we parted ways. Beth to drop our bag off at the event village while I headed to the starting line. And what a cool start it was! About 3500 runners packed in from of the King's home. The King himself was even at the start line seeing us off (and hopefully not beheading anyone).

The race started and my goals were simple. Take it easy, enjoy the race, find a comfortable pace in which I wouldn't breathe too heavy, and work on negative splits (run the 2nd half faster than the 1st half). I've been working hard to "feel" my marathon pace, which means not looking at my watch very often. Halfway into the race I took a peek at my watch and realised I was about 30 seconds faster than marathon pace. If I slowed down, that would mean not hitting my negative splits, which was more of a priority Sunday. So on I went, feeling comfortable and starting to gradually pick up the pace.

The course was lovely! The riverside views make for a great distraction. Then we turned into Home Park for the last two miles and BAM the wind hit us right in the face. It was like running straight into a wall of wind. This was a fun challenge to finish out the race. Many runners were fading by this point, yet I still felt pretty fresh. It's odd how 13.1 miles doesn't seem like a very long run anymore.

I finished in 1:36:14 for my second best half marathon time ever. I certainly wasn't expecting that. What I loved even more was nailing the negative splits!

I crossed the finish line, grabbed a few extra drinks and suddenly, there he is...King Henry VIII. I had to get a post-race photo with him.

He was super gracious and made sure that I had enjoyed myself. I took the opportunity before Beth finished to use the toilet, cool down, change my shirt, put on my jacket, use the toilet, do some stretching, eat a pizza and go find Beth along the finish.

I'm super proud of her! She's been working so hard for months now on her dieting and workouts, then she threw training for a half marathon into the mix. That ain't easy!

Then I see her, running with about 1/2 mile to go. I ran to the fence to cheer her on, then raced ahead to see her as she approached the finish.

And that was that! Another half marathon in the books. One last picture with King Henry and we headed home to relax our sore muscles the rest of the day.

A post shared by Beth Kriebel (@kriebelbeth) on


  1. How exciting for both of you but specially Beth. A big congratulations it is hard to add finding time to run w a full mom schedule. What a great picture too. You both look fantastic.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No more trips to Vietnam

Well, last week was a big week for me. I decided to leave FCG and return to work for Coca-Cola Enterprises. I had been talking with the people I know at CCE since late last year about working with them and they finally had a position open up a couple of weeks ago. I'm excited to go back there and work on the business side of the company versus the IT side. I start on Apri l16. I will be working in the Revenue Management Department as the Forecasting & Planning Manager. Essentially I will be the business process owner, facilitator, and coordinator of all forecasting and planning activities within the company. That involves working with all of the regional and corporate business units to ensure that the tools and related processes are thoroughly integrated across finance, revenue management, supply chain, logistics and sales. I will also be responsible for managing all of the support tools and solutions, so I still get to be a Project Manager. This is a big job with lo

Dublin & Beyond

I arrived in Dublin Wednesday evening. Somehow the 1-hour flight from Heathrow made it in 30 minutes. How is that even possible? I'm staying at The Marker Hotel again. I stayed at The Marker when I first came to Dublin two years ago. Back then, it was their grand opening. This is one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in. Incredible service (more on that in a bit). Thursday and Friday I was teaching a 2-day Tableau class at the Facebook office. Since I was last here, Facebook has moved into a new office right next to The Marker. Facebook Dublin's new home From the 5th floor looking down at the cafeteria The rooftop has spectacular views of the entire city Thursday evening, my good friend Ivan took me to a local eatery called Lolly & Cooks. We kind of had to go here since nothing else was open. All of the pubs stop serving food at like 5:30pm. It's strange! We enjoyed a light meal of fish before taking on these amazing desserts. I went for the r

Double Chocolate Chip Dream Cookies

If you love chocolate, these are the cookies for you. The name says it all...Double Chocolate Chip Dream Cookies. Indeed, they are a dream! It takes about 10 minutes to make the batter, then eight minutes to cook. You can be eating these in less time than it takes to watch an episode of The Office. To make them vegan:  Use 1/4 cup of applesauce (from Whole Foods in the UK) for each egg Replace the butter with margarine (make sure it's stick margarine) Use dark chocolate chips (you can get a 2KG bag of chocolate chips at Costco).  Unlike last time, when I used tub margarine and melted it too much, use stick margarine and let it come to room temperature to soften. This made a HUGE difference.  They're super delicious! Enjoy!